Customer Service is King
In the world of business in 2019, customer service is king. As an online shopper myself, I have noticed that the businesses that have given me awful customer care have left me sour. There are tons of businesses operating online and offline, however the businesses that stand out and thrive are businesses with awesome customer service.As a business ensure you have mechanisms in place to assist you to offer your customers awesome customer service. Great customer service does not only bring great customer reviews but through those reviews, sales can increase. With good customer service comes referrals, you want your customers to become your advocates and brand ambassadors.
Three reasons why customer service is important
1. Good Communication = Less Customer Frustration
- The essential key to providing good customer service is managing client expectations. Manage client’s expectations by keeping your customers in the loop in terms of orders they have placed through your site. It is unsettling for customers to make a purchase and receive no communication on the progress of their order.
- Keep the communication going at every step of a customer’s purchase journey from payment to delivery. This will reduce the number of customers calling in to find out the progress of their order.
- Focus on addressing your customers’ needs first instead of just selling your products or services and you will defiantly be on a path to success.
2. Great service increases returning customers
- For a customer to return and make a purchase again they need to have been satisfied with the service received previously. To turn customers into repeat customers you need to go beyond what they expect.
- Loyal customers are created through creating a personal relationship with your customers through your brand. Unlike in the past when customers were only concerned about price tags, customers now prefer to shop with businesses they care about and have a personal connection with.
- A personal connection can be created through using mechanisms of personalization. Customers expect a personalised service, and this will set your business apart from competition
- Personalization can include customers having online accounts that record previous purchases, previous shipping addresses and suggest items similar or related to previous purchases. Personalised emails also add an element of personalised communication.
3. Service builds trust and reputation
- It’s not about what you sell but how you make your customer feel as products can be forgotten but good customer care is remembered. You want to keep your brand in peoples mind even after they have received their purchase. Some of your customers may never have a physical interaction with your business so making service a focal point in your interaction with customers pushes a message that your brand truly cares about your customers.
- There are many products on sale and customers have access to them, so customers are not looking for products but for solutions to their problems. Design the service in a way that will reduce any uncertainties, answers common questions and clearly describes your shipping and return policies.
- Use social media channels to communicate to your customers and have a dedicated email address and phone number for other methods of contact.
If your customer service exceeds expectation, then you have gained a loyal customer and all the friends and family they tell. If it’s a sour experience be sure they will spread the word of their experience and you lose more than one customer.
So, with the festive season coming up I challenge you to up your customer service game and be a brand that stands out from the crowd.
Hlupekile Malama a successful entrepreneur changing the world one day at a time. Practicing as a business analyst for 5 years has led me to become an e commerce enthusiast through promoting and teaching people about eCommerce. E commerce has the potential to make a change in many youths living on the African continent and that is why I began my blog Ecommerce Junkie. I spread knowledge on the different options available to make money online while you are either employed or a student. I share content on the different aspects that are involved in getting your business started and growing your business. The services I offer are kick start programs that get your business up and running and provide you with training to maintain your business through the full e commerce solution services provided.